Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Advantages of a Ghetto Movie Theatre

I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I am deathly afraid of scary movies. Like ridiculously so. Like I couldn't sleep in my dorm room for five days after seeing The Ring, kept noticing the figure of a young girl in a white gown out of the corner of my eye, ran out of said room the first night, scared-the-shit-out-of-me frightened when it comes to scary movies.

So when I tell you I enjoyed watching Paranormal Activity, you should know something was up.

First, it is true when they tell you your experience of a movie completely depends on where you see it. If I had seen this flick in a theatre with just my SO and myself, I probably won't have been able to sleep Monday night. But we were not alone, by any stretch of the term. In fact, for a Monday night, you could say the theatre was downright crowded.

Second, for a person like me, how I dress is important. I went into the theatre, expecting to see Capitalism: A Love Story, but the internet lied to me. Capitalism was not showing and my only other options were Surrogates (no way in hell) & Meatballs (might be cute, but no). Considering I wanted to watch a movie that night, I bit the bullet and joined my SO for his show. But, I had a secret advantage: my home made scarf.

I love my scarf. It's warm, and long, giving me multiple different ways of wearing it. For Paranormal Activity, I used it to cover my eyes during certain points that I knew had the possibility of burning into my brain. Lets just say I saw the bottom half of the screen for the final five minutes and I am all the better for it.

Third, and most important of all, there were some ghetto ass people in this movie theatre. I had not been to this particular establishment in some time. Therefore I had no clue how much the clientele had changed. Phones going off multiple times, yelling at the screen, giggling and making fun of the movie abounded.

And you know what: they made me laugh. I was literally laughing so hard at the end of the show, my cheeks hurt. Me, the person who couldn't finish watching Seven (though, to be fair, I saw it when I was 12 years old; very bad idea). I was laughing and happy I had seen Paranormal Activity.

Granted I didn't have the experience a true "reviewer" should have. I was most defiantly influenced by the atmosphere in which I saw this show. But, as such, I must now recommend it. It is a slow build movie, much like the old school black and white films. And there are moments you just do not see coming. Well worth a matinee fee, or, if you're in a good mood, full price. And if you're a scaredy cat like me, go see it with friends who won't be afraid to call a spade a spade, or make fun of the characters and you for being so scared.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter
hit counter