Thursday, September 13, 2012

Passions

We arrived five minutes early, groggy but excited. Inretrepida gave me a ride Saturday morning from The Naked House to the Grue, for which I was quite grateful. Otherwise I would've had to take three buses for about one and a half hours.

As we entered we deposited our shoes to the left and deposited ourselves to the right on a nearby couch. As more people filtered in, we crept downstairs for food: bagels, yogurt, juice, tea, and coffee.

I returned to my comfy couch and chatted with folks as they arrived. Soon, though, we were encouraged to make our way downstairs. It was almost time to start.

As I stood in the back leaning against a wall, Gray approached.

"Are you planning on teaching today?"
"Yes."
"Good, then I'll use you as an example." Always happy to be used.

With all the attendees ensconced in the couches and floor space of the basement, Gray began. He stood in front of a bookcase draped by a white sheet with various pieces of paper naming different spaces in the house taped to it. Otherwise it was blank. This, he explained, was our schedule.  We were going to create our day.

"Think about something you're passionate about. Hold that thought."

And then his example began.  Gray pointed to me, saying I would demonstrate the process for adding a class to the schedule as he narrated.

First, I pondered what I was passionate about. Putting my finger to my lips, I looked up and away, searching for my idea. And then it came to me. A smile burst onto my lips as my finger swung from my mouth and pointed to the sky, proclaiming my idea.

With the thought for my class acquired, I scurried to a coffee table full of pre-cut pieces of paper and sharpies. Selecting a piece of paper and a marker, I wrote the name for my class - Calling All Ashtrays: Cigar play from the bottom's perspective. Gray read the name for my class as I wrote it. Affixing two pieces of tape to my piece of paper, I chose a time slot and spot for my class.

With my example now finished, Gray opened up any and every one to add their classes to the schedule. I stepped back and watched as people filled the white sheet with their passions.

On my way back to my spot, Gray quickly spoke to me, saying if I wanted to teach another class I could. Since he mentioned it, I decided I would. Heading back to the table, I wrote on another piece of paper - Fingering 401: Fisting is Fun! I then added my second class to the schedule.

Almost immediately, there were changes to the schedule. I wanted to go to Inretrepida's Self Suspension class, so I moved my cigar play class back. Gray wanted to attend one of my classes and another presentation in the same time slot; more switching. Once everyone was happy and assured they would be able to not only teach their classes but attend the one's they found interesting, we settled back down.

With everyone's passions listed, and everyone ready to go, Gray sent us off to share and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter
hit counter