Monday, May 20, 2013

Storyteller

~ a story ~



"I'm not going back to him."

"That's not why I'm here, Ma'am."

"No, you're hear because he asked for you."

"Yes, Ma'am. He has that right. So I'm here."

"I'm not going back to him."

"I'm not here for him. I'm here for the both of you. For what you shared."

"Huh? What we shared? That's over."

"Yes, Ma'am. It is. But still, I'm here to honor it. Please, tell me how it began."

"Didn't he already tell you?"

"Yes, Ma'am, he did, but he was not the only person in love. How did you meet him?"

"You know how I met him. You know it all."

"Ma'am, I know a lot. But I only know his perspective. His side of your love. I need to hear you tell it. I need to hear your experience. I need to add your voice to the story. Please, give me these few minutes. Then I'll leave. You don't even have to show up for the storytelling. But I need to hear all sides before I can speak for the love. So, please, how did you meet him?"

She took a deep breath. I could see she was thinking, weighing how much she hated being here over how much I was trying to make it better. Did she want to give me more shit, or just let it out? Finally let it go.

She settled in her seat the way they all do, the way I've seen them all shift right before they begin.

"It was a nice Spring day. The first for the season. So I thought I would go for a walk. Maybe run a bit, too. I had my ear buds in. I was listening to some up beat poppy music. I was happy, smiling, breathing in the fresh air. And not paying attention to the neighborhood. To cars passing by.

"He didn't see me. He was looking for a friend's home, searching for the street numbers on the houses. He came around the bend, an almost blind turn. I didn't hear his approach. Was oblivious to anything behind me.

"He clipped my hip. I tumbled into the grass down by the side of a creek that ran through my neighborhood. He wasn't going fast, and the soft earth cushioned my fall. But he freaked out all the same, worried he'd maimed me or something.

"To get him to stop panicking and to not worry, I let him drive me home. I made him some tea to calm his nerves. We talked by the picture window in my kitchen.

"He has these beautiful blue eyes. Like the water we swam in during our honeymoon."

~

Alec and Anna were like oil and vinegar. Smashed together by chance. Blending in a way that didn't make chemical sense.

There was always a push and pull to their relationship. Neither knew who would be on top any given day.

But from their passion came a strong bond, a love that saw them through ten years together. Through displacement by a natural catastrophe. Through monetary hardships. And through shared unbelievable heartache.

Their love bore a child who gave them three years of life before succumbing to a disease laced with their sorrow.

Neither Alec nor Anna will deny the pain the death of their child caused them. And that it was this blow that created the first crack, which turned into a valley of separation, ultimately causing their parting.

Nor will Alec and Anna deny the love and passion that still exists between them. They will forever be a wondrous mixture that never smoothly blends.

Their love was spectacular in its life.

But now their love has ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter
hit counter