Saturday, February 12, 2011

VD, or My Distorted Views On Feb. 14th

I am a late bloomer. I didn't loose my virginity, or have my first relationship, til I was 22. So, for the majority of my life, February 14th was not a welcome day.

In grade school, I received cards from all my classmates, but was then picked on when I created a card for a boy I liked. Everyone else made theirs for a parent. His name was Noel. I don't remember anything about him, except for that incident.

In middle school, it was all about being chosen to receive a card. In my class of twenty, I got about five.

Because I went to an all girls Catholic high school, somehow it was less painful. I don't even remember cards, but there was candy and heart decorations.

I can't remember VD at all in college. Then again, with classes, two jobs, and shows, most of my days were a blur.

Now, as an adult, my experiences haven't improved. Stores push you to buy things. Television shoves the love narrative on you. And, if you're single, the general thought is you're to be pitied or there must be something wrong with you.

Frankly, I call bullshit on the entire notion of VD.

Even when I was in a relationship, I never liked VD. My Ex didn't believe in gift giving, nor did he ever say he loved me. (I know, what a dick.) I thought things would be different because I finally had someone. And they were: I felt worse. What was the point in celebrating our love when he couldn't even say the words?

Now that I'm single again, I had planned to hang out with friends. But life is a son-of-a-bitch and my plans were cancelled. So I'm stuck alone on a Monday with nothing to do, except resent the world for about 24hrs.

Happy VD; hope you don't choke on your candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

hit counter
hit counter